Congratulations to Elisa, our November Member Spotlight. Elisa has been a part of Islip CrossFit for over 4 years and she has grown to be one of our most cherished members. Elisa’s dedication is the perfect example of how hard work pays off, just ask her about the pull-up progress! When she puts her mind to something, she sticks with programming, listens to her coaches and continues to reach her goals. Elisa is straight motivation for all- so keep your eye on her! We’re pleased to honor her as this month’s spotlight.
A few words from her coaches….
Elisa has been at Islip just over 4 years now and its remarkable how far she’s come. She has gotten so strong (recently hitting a 190lb back squat) and is able to string together strict pull ups with ease!
It has come from all her hard work that she puts in during class, but I know also at home. As a working mom, she makes it a priority to be at the box but when she can’t I know she is putting in the time at her home gym as well. She never cherry picks a workout, even if it has overhead squats in it!!!
The example she sets for the rest of the gym is inspirational. No excuses, she makes it a priority, works hard and gets it done!–Coach Nick
Elisa is always someone who pushes herself. She can often be found running (yes, running) after a WOD and when asked why on Earth she is RUNNING after completing a grueling WOD, her response is, “I need to improve my running abilities under fatigue and what better time to work on that than after a WOD?” She is all drive, all heart, and so goal focused it is inspiring. Her form is great and she is always willing to make a change to help her overall abilities as an athlete. And her PULL-UPs….. Girl is on FIRE! Congratulations Elisa, you are amazing and this is a well deserved Member Spotlight! -Coach Christine xoxo
Let’s learn more about Elisa….
- Tell us about yourself?
- I live in West Islip with my husband Dan and our kids, Owen (7) and Maya (4).
- What do you do out in the real world?
- I am a CPA and worked for Ernst & Young for about 10 years and then went back to school for my administrative degree and have been working for a school district for almost 10 years.
- What brought you to Islip CF? How long have you been doing CrossFit?
- When my youngest was about 9 months old I felt like I needed to do something different. I heard about CrossFit and wanted to give it a try so I just searched online and found Islip CrossFit. That was a little over 4 years ago.
- What was your first CF workout? What did you think after it?
- I remember coming down on a Saturday for a trial workout and I don’t remember the exact workout but it involved wall balls and pull-ups. I used a band because I couldn’t even do one pull-up. It was tough! I remember running to pee during the workout and Nick yelling “what are you doing this workout is for time?!”
- What changes have you made in your diet or workouts that have been the most successful?
- After I had my first child I became much more mindful of eating less processed foods and more ‘real’ foods. I also started counting macros this year.
- Favorite Cheat Meal?
- I am pretty much a cookie monster and I love ice cream too.
- Most embarrassing/funniest gym moment?
- It was soon after I first started and we were doing box jumps and I fell into the box and my shin got cut up pretty badly. I was in so much pain and so embarrassed that I just ran out and went home!
- Favorite movement? Least favorite? Benchmark WOD?
- I love pistols and want to get better at them. I love power cleans and pull-ups. Least favorites are definitely anything overhead and rowing! I really like Murph and Daniel!
- What motivates you to keep coming back each day?
- Any improvement or small achievement I make helps keep me motivated. Getting to start my day off with awesome people helps too!
- Something no one at the gym knows about you?
- The only recurring dream I have ever had in my life is one about doing a muscle-up! I think I have had about 7 by now.
- What is your greatest achievement in your fitness so far?
- I am the strongest I have ever been in my life.
- What has been the most challenging part?
- Definitely getting out of my own head!
- Short term goal? Long term goal?
- Doing a muscle-up! I haven’t done one yet but I will!
- What/Who motivates or inspires you?
- My kids – I want to be the healthiest I can be, both mentally and physically, so I can be around for a very long time.
- Favorite Quotes?
- “Progress not perfection.” “Have courage & be kind.”
- What Superhero are you?
- No clue so I asked my husband and he said Raven from Teen Titans (based off the cartoon my kids watch).
- Biggest Fear?
- Way too many of them so I’ll stick to one related to CrossFit –afraid of getting injured.
- Favorite workout music?
- Rap, hip hop
- Best Vacation?
- Hawaii & Italy
- Advice for a new member or someone thinking of trying CrossFit?
- It’s definitely worth trying. I love how we are all at different levels and how each workout can be scaled to fit your abilities. It’s also probably one of the only places where the loudest cheers are for the last to finish. The workouts are great but the people are the best!
- How do you find/make time to get your workouts in?
- I do my best to get to 6am classes and always try to make the weekend. When work or life get in the way of getting to class I make myself workout at home.
- What is your favorite part of Islip CrossFit?
- The people, of course!
- If you aren’t at the box, where would we find you?
- Working or spending time with my family & friends.
- If you won lotto, what would you do?
- Go on a very long vacation!
- Last pic on your phone?
- My kids
- If you could program it, what is your perfect workout?
- I guess something with running, power cleans, pull-ups and GHDs.
- Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less
- Family, friends, fitness, fatigue