This month our Islip Crossfit Member Spotlight goes to Brooke Nutter. Brooke is a long time member and regular 9 am-er. She is always so dedicated shuffling into class with Rylee and Thomas in tow to get her workout in! She is really making amazing progress and is lifting more than ever, and you should see her pull-ups! Hard work and dedication pays off! Congrats Brooke!
A WORD FROM HER COACHES…
Brooke has been a member since 2015 and I’ve gotten the opportunity to coach her often since she’s a 9am’er. The transformation she has made has been remarkable, both physically and mentally. She’s always pushing herself that little extra, you’ll often see her adding on 2.5 plates for a workout just to make it a little more of a challenge. My favorite thing about Brooke is that I always know what rep she’s on because she says them out loud! I don’t know if she’s aware but she definitely does.
She’s a mom of 2 little ones so I know it’s not always easy to get to class, but she makes no excuses and always makes it happen. I think she represents a large portion of the demographic of our gym, a strong woman working hard every day! Well deserved Brooke. –Coach Nick
Brooke you are one of my favorite people to coach and bringing Thomas to class everyday helps LOL! I am so inspired by how you continue to challenge yourself and continue to want to improve. From your latest pull up to your Kipping hspu, it really shows the athlete you are. As coaches it’s a pleasure to have someone who listens to every single one of us, and your improvement has shown it. I can’t wait to see what you do next!!!!! –Coach Trish
LET’S LEARN ALL ABOUT BROOKE….
- What do you do out in the real world? I’m fortunate to be a stay at home Mom to two amazing and crazy kids. ☺
- What brought you to Islip CF? How long have you been doing CrossFit? Nick and Rachel brought me to Islip CF. Nick has known Steven since they were kids and after seeing their progress I was curious… I’ve been doing Crossfit a few years, minus some pregnancy breaks.
- What was your first CF workout? What did you think after it? I believe it was a Thruster and Rowing WOD……. It was awful….but I did it.
- What changes have you made in your workouts that have been the most successful? The biggest change I made was acknowledging the small changes and accomplishments. Little increases in weight or less of a modification are just as important as the big changes and PRs.
- Most embarrassing/funniest gym moment? We were working on a progression for Toes to Bar and my feet actually touched the bar, very unexpectedly and I screamed. I was just so shocked. It was a ridiculous reaction.
- Favorite movement? Least favorite? Benchmark WOD? My favorites are deadlifts, hang cleans and sit-ups. My least favorite are box jumps and overhead squats…. They are just such a challenge for me.
- If you could program it, what is your perfect workout? Not sure I have a perfect workout but sit-ups, deadlifts and lunges would be cool.
- Favorite workout music? 90s Hip Hop or Country
- Advice a new member or someone thinking of trying CrossFit? Don’t be intimidated just try it and give it sometime….. changes happen and you’ll surprise yourself over and over again.
- How do you find/make time to get your workouts in? I’m fortunate enough to go at 9 am when Rylee is at school. That’s my time and love the 9am crew.
- What is your favorite part of Islip CrossFit? My favorite part is the overflowing amount of encouragement….. from the coaches to the members…. We all just want each other to succeed.
- What motivates you to keep coming back each day? Showing my kids how important it is to stay active and keep challenging yourself in your life.
- What is your greatest achievement in your fitness so far? Getting a pullup, it took me longer then I would have liked but I can finally do one….. Sometimes two in a row. ☺
- What has been the most challenging part? Overcoming silly fears, like box jumps. I do have to say though, I’m short and that box is high!
- Short term goal? Long term goal? My goal is to be able to do WODs RXed.
- Favorite Cheat Meal? Ice cream and chocolate….. yes that can be a meal ☺
- What changes have you made in your diet that have been the most successful? Forgiving myself for eating poorly and getting right back at it the next meal.
- What is the worst “diet” you’ve ever been on? Anything called a diet. Eating right is a lifestyle not a temporary adjustment.
- What’s your go to breakfast? Every morning I have my Juice Plus protein shake with a banana, turmeric and black pepper.
- Do you eat before you workout? (If so, what?) I have to eat a little something beforehand and it’s always my shake.
- Something no one at the gym knows about you? I grew up with a variety of animals in our backyard….. peacocks, pheasants, ducks, chickens, ponies, deer, pig………
- Biggest Fear? Spiders and being buried alive.
- If you aren’t at the box, where would we find you? Taking the kids somewhere, at home or reading a book.
- If you won lotto, what would you do? Travel, Travel, Travel.
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why? Hard to pick just one place. I’d love to do a safari in Africa and see Alaska.
- Last pic on your phone? Rylee and Thomas trick or treating.
- What’s the wallpaper on your phone right now? A picture of my kids from over the summer… Thomas still had his longer hair.
- What’s in your most frequently used emoji tab? (get a screenshot) The girl with her hand on her face. I have a lot of those moments.
Congratulations again to Brooke!!!