Congratulations to Islip CrossFit’s March 2019 Member Spotlight, Kristen Sheridan. Kristen is a positive, high-energy, go -getter who makes it a priority to get her fitness in, even if that means rearranging her week and coming to class with her adorable (and super well behaved) children. Kristen has grown so much in both mindset and in her fitness since joining the Islip CrossFit FitFam. She takes on any challenge and continues to improve in her strength gainz and her technique bringing out a wonderfully balanced amazing athlete. Her physical transformation since the start of her CrossFit journey is astonishing and she’s super fun and motivating to WOD with. Congratulations to Kristen and well deserved!
A Word From Her Coaches….
Kristen is a great choice to spotlight this month. She’s come so far in her journey here at Islip CrossFit, when she started she was kind of on the fence but now she’s a regular. The best is that she comes to all different class times so we all get a chance to coach and get to know her better. She is very coachable, always looking for corrections on her movement or proper substitutions to meet the workout objective. She works so hard during every workout and does every rep to the best of her ability and it’s really paid off. Not only does she look fantastic, but her endurance has improved tremendously. Most recently she crushed 19.1 RX, scoring nearly 6 full rounds with her powerful rowing and beautiful wall ball technique!! Well done Kristen. –Coach Nick
My relationship with Kristen from day one has always been strong from coach to member, member to member, friend to friend. I truly value Kristen for many reasons. She inspires me to be the mom that I would love to be one day. She finally got Paul to join-which means there’s hope for my significant other. Her progress since she has started has been incredible. She had no shame squatting to a wall ball for her first few weeks to make sure she was getting full range of motion. Her patience is the most admirable characteristic in my opinion. Her first time deadlifting she wanted to go fast but learned quickly that her form was more important. She’s now deadlifting probably more than me. I love to watch her get stronger every week. Lifting 65lbs overhead is not even a question for her anymore. Kristen thanks for all you do as a member at islip. We are extremely lucky to have you here. –Coach Trish
All About Kristen
- Tell us about yourself? I’m 33 years old. I live in East Islip with my husband Paul, two kids Paulie (7) and Savannah (4), of which I often tote along with me when I work out and our puggle, Diesel.
- What do you do out in the real world? I wear many hats managing the office of a pavement maintenance company called Appell Striping & Sealcoating Inc. in Bay Shore. I’m lucky to be there and working so close to home. I’m a firm believer in having a passion for what you do in life.
- What brought you to Islip CF? How long have you been doing CrossFit? My good friend Gina Verde brought me to Islip CrossFit just about 1 year ago. She had been doing CF for many years and throughout our friendship. She knew I was working out either at home or at Gold’s and one day asked if I wanted to join her for a class. I gladly accepted and quickly terminated by Gold’s membership.
- What was your first CF workout? What did you think after it? I can’t really remember what my first workout was. I just remember I felt very accomplished afterwards and couldn’t wait to come back.
- What changes have you made in your workouts that have been the most successful? Focusing on form rather then going with a heavier weight.
- Most embarrassing/funniest gym moment? Definitely the two times that I puked after a workout
- Favorite movement? Clean and Jerk or thrusters
- Least favorite movement? All forms of pull ups. I’m terrible at them. Something I am working on mastering in 2019!
- Favorite Benchmark WOD? Annie!!
- Favorite memory at Islip Crossfit? The morning I PR’d for my Squat Clean and Jerk…it was a 40 pound PR!
- If you could program it, what is your perfect workout? My Perfect workout would have some sort of Cardio and then lifting after. Saturday’s WOD (2/23) was perfect.
- Favorite workout music? Music all depends on what we are doing. I listen to all kinds of music so the variety from the coaches is nice.
- Advice for a new member or someone thinking of trying CrossFit? My best advice would be to never get intimidated by anyone else. Everyone lifts and moves at different levels and anything can be modified. And most people also think we only flip tires. That’s false, I haven’t flipped a tired yet! Nick, am I missing the experience?
- How do you find/make time to get your workouts in? It can be hard some weeks but it’s extremely important to me so I make it priority. Often my schedule changes because of my kids’ extracurricular activities or an event myself or my husband has. So I make sure on Sunday, I sit and look at the week ahead to see when I am able to go and if I have to switch days because of any events.
- What is your favorite part of Islip CrossFit? I love that everyone is doing the same workout and when you need that extra motivation there is usually someone there to provide it.
- What motivates you to keep coming back each day? How good I feel when I am not there is what motivates me to keep coming back.
- What is your greatest achievement in your fitness so far? Since starting CF my greatest achievement is feeling empowered. I get in my own head a lot and some of the WODS look horrifying on paper but then I show up, complete it and realize it wasn’t that bad.
- What has been the most challenging part? When my back is bothering me and I have to scale the work outs as necessary.
- Short term goal? Long term goal? To be leaner! And also master pull ups, climbing the rope. I definitely want to do Murph this year!
- What/Who motivates or inspires you?
What: Being a healthy role model for my kids.
Who: I work with a Nutritional Coach and he helps guide me in the direction of where I want to be.
- Favorite Cheat Meal? Pizza and Ice Cream!!
- What changes have you made in your diet that have been the most successful? Planning meals ahead and meal prepping
- What is the worst “diet” you’ve ever been on? Isagenix. Terrible. So Hangry!
- What’s your go to breakfast? 2 eggs, some sort of veggies (whatever I have I the house) and 1/2 cup jasmine Rice on the side with siracha.
- Do you eat before you workout? (If so, what?) If I hit the morning class I don’t usually eat before a workout. Maybe if I absolutely need something, a half a banana.
JUST FOR FUN…..
- Something no one at the gym knows about you? I like to drink bourbon/whiskey
- Favorite Quote? Life is too short to be anything but happy.
- What Superhero are you? I really have no clue!
- Biggest Fear? Clowns and scary movies I hate being scared.
- Best Vacation? Santorini , Greece
- If you aren’t at the box, where would we find you? Working, at home with my family, walking my dog or at the drive on Beach.
- If you won lotto, what would you do? Travel
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why? Hawaii, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Colorado, I want to see all that the US has to offer before l venture more to other countries.
- Who is your celebrity crush? Charlie Hunnam & Channing Tatum
- Last pic on your phone? Paulie and Diesel Sleeping together <3
- What’s the wallpaper on your phone right now? My kids from 2017 Christmas!
- What’s in your most frequently used emoji tab? Probably the hearts<3
- What’s the last thing you searched for on Google? Michaels coupons lol.
- Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less. Chaotic at times, relaxing at times, Healthy, Family oriented, Positive.