A well deserved March Member Spotlight goes to Nicole Schreiber! Needless to say, she is one of a kind. Her fun loving, EDM wild spirit, and cool personality is so much fun to be around. She has continued to improve in all areas and she never shies away from a dreaded late light open gym death row…but she’ll definitely tell you how sucky it was! She smiles for the camera at the perfect moments, she is beautiful, she is strong, she is our guurrlll and we are proud to have her as part of our Islip CF family. Thanks for always showing up and making our workout more fun. CONGRATS!
A WORD FROM THE COACHES…..
Nicole is an amazing athlete with an incredible attitude and drive. She is all heart and NEVER gives up or shies away from a challenge. I love that she is always game for anything and consistently drives to be her best self in her workouts. She works on her weaknesses and is always trying to improve her technique, strength, and endurance! She is a rock star with a heart of gold and a witty, hysterical personality! Congrats girl! –Coach Christine
Schreiber scales when needed appropriately to get her best workout. She moves well and puts forth great effort, but above all other things, she has a personality that makes everyone else around better because of it. She is great and definitely well deserving for Member Spotlight. –Coach Phil
Tell us about yourself?
- Schreiber…Nicole Schreiber. I’m 24 years old and I’m the middle child with two sisters. I grew up in Brentwood but bounced around from Commack to Lindenhurst before settling back in Bayshore. My days consists of WODs, lots of paperwork and any spare time after that I make art, play video games and binge watch Netflix shows.
What do you do out in the real world?
- I’m a Warranty Administrator for the service department at Huntington Jeep Chrysler Dodge Ram Hyundai
What brought you to Islip CF? How long have you been doing CrossFit?
- One of the owners of the dealership where I work goes to Cow Harbor Crossfit and he nagged me about trying it everyday for months! I tried to once and I loved it! Now I’ve been doing crossfit for a little bit over a year now.
What was your first CF workout? What did you think after it?
- My first CF workout was a variation partner wod of MURPH. After I definitely thought all of you guys were nuts! Also I was seriously questioning my fitness level and where my asthma pump was.
What changes have you made in your workouts that have been the most successful?
- Working on my technique/form first and foremost has really been successful for me. When I first started I thought the weight on the bar was most important and I learned pretty quick that wasn’t the case if you have bad form. Plus I incorporate death row WODs for each open gym and it’s really been helping out with my endurance.
Most embarrassing/funniest gym moment?
- Most embarrassing funniest gym moment would have to be the first time I saw Coach Nick without a hat on. Take it I’ve been doing crossfit for a few weeks at this point and I’ve always seen Nick with a beanie on. One day he had it off or took it off during class and it was dead silence because we were warming up and I was like “NICK YOU DON’T HAVE HAIR?!?” everyone bursted out laughing. I really didn’t mean it as an insult and I really didn’t mean to say it as loud as I did I really just was that surprised. Sorry Nick no one rocks the bald look better than you!
Favorite movement? Least favorite? Benchmark WOD?
- Favorite would be power cleans because my form is strongest in that movement. Least favorite would be thrusters because I just really hate thrusters.
Favorite memory OR most memorable moment at Islip Crossfit? (could be a PR moment or an event etc.)
- My favorite memory would probably be the Christmas party I went to for Islip Crossfit. It was my first one and was so nice to see everyone dress up and busting out some serious dance moves. It was a real moment where it felt so much more than just going to a gym.
If you could program it, what is your perfect workout?
Burpees Over Bar
Favorite workout music?
Advice for a new member or someone thinking of trying CrossFit?
- I’d would have to say to anyone who is new or thinking about trying is don’t be scared and leave the stereotypes of the typical gym at the door. I tried Crossfit on a whim and went to my first class by myself because I couldn’t get anyone to go with me and I thought it was going to be so intimidating and it was the complete opposite. I’ve tried so many other fitness type classes/gyms before Crossfit and I’ve never been in a more supportive environment and seen so much improvement in my strength.
How do you find/make time to get your workouts in?
- Fortunately for me I don’t have too many things that interfere with classes. I take it so seriously as a part of my schedule that friends/family know not to contact me or ask anything of me between 7pm-8pm weekdays.
What is your favorite part of Islip CrossFit?
- To choose just one is hard. It would honestly be a 50/50 split one side being the members and coaches of course. They are always supportive and encouraging. I’ve had great laughs, met great people, and made good friends at Islip Crossfit. The other half is not one time have I gotten to point where I felt like my workouts are repetitive. Every day it’s something different and this is SO important to me because if I get bored I start to lack motivation.
What motivates you to keep coming back each day?
- I think was really motivates me to come back everyday is to really be a healthy strong person. I want to be crushing WODS when I’m old in the 55+ masters not playing bingo in a retirement home.
What is your greatest achievement in your fitness so far?
- I would say that my greatest achievement is a whole bunch of little achievements. Like recently was did 1 X 5 hang cleans and when I entered my weight into Wodify I realized that the weight that I just did 5 times was my one rep max a few months ago. I haven’t had my one big defining moment yet at least to me so far but I’m sure I’ll have one.
What has been the most challenging part?
- Dealing with my own self doubts and my lack of patience for not getting a certain weight or movement. (still working on that)
Short term goal? Long term goal?
- Short term is HSPU, long term would be to improve my front squat form.
What/Who motivates or inspires you?
- What motivates me to come to Crossfit all the time would be my obsession to stay healthy and happy for a long time. I’m the crazy fitness one in my family and friend circle and even though my friends get sick of me talking about my WODs they are my go to hype squad. It was a celebration even at work when I found out I got member of the month.
Favorite Cheat Meal?
- Chocolate chip pancakes from IHOP extra whip cream.
What changes have you made in your diet that have been the most successful?
- I started tracking calories and macros with the start of a healthy eating challenge at the box. It has really helped me see what my eating habits are like and knowing I have to hit certain percentages on my macros gives me a goal to meet.
What is the worst “diet” you’ve ever been on?
- For some stupid reason a while back I tried that “military diet”. You ate pretty much nothing for 7 days straight other then black coffee and bunless hot dogs…if that even counts as a diet.
What’s your go to breakfast?
- Two hard boiled eggs with 1/2 cup oats 1 tsp honey( just like mom used to make)
Do you eat before you workout? (If so, what?)
- Never! It’s instant heartburn for me. Sometimes if I even eat lunch too late I’m suffering.
JUST FOR FUN…..
Something no one at the gym knows about you?
- I take naps before Crossfit classes. (yes,seriously)
- “When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives” – Game of Thrones
What Superhero are you?
- Poison Ivy (I’m a super villain kind of girl)
- It’s going to sound childish but I’m afraid of the dark. I never sleep in complete darkness I always need to have a light/night light on.
- I actually haven’t taken a real vacation since I was like 10. But I did take a weekend in Fire Island last year it was the first time I’ve actually been there in my whole life! It was amazing because I very rarely take time off to really relax.
If you aren’t at the box, where would we find you?
- I would be playing video games or napping.
If you won lotto, what would you do?
- Pay off all my debt and then maybe I would break even?
If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why?
- Tokyo Japan! I’ve always wanted to go there because the city and the culture is so fascinating to me.
Who is your celebrity crush?
- Tom Hardy for sure he’s a snack!
Last pic on your phone?
- Screen shot of my confirmation registration to the crossfit 2018 open!
What’s the wallpaper on your phone right now?
- Fire Island sunset I took when I went there last summer!
What’s the last thing you searched for on Google?
- “90’s soda cup design” I was trying to show my friend a specific color I saw on a BMW.
Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less