Congratulations to Justine, our February member spotlight. Justine’s improvements have been recognized and congratulated by all of her coaches. Her commitment to becoming a better athlete has grown stronger over the last few months and her success shines through every day in her performance. Keep doing what you’re doing, Justine, and you’ll hit those goals in no time!
Justine is a crossfit ninja, she has been low key working hard to improve her fitness day in and day out. One day she was scaling workouts then the next you see her hitting that Rx button on a regular basis. She doesn’t make a big fuss about this or showboat, but continues to quietly put the work in and let her results speak for themselves. Keep it up Justine, as your continued improvement reminds all of us to not get complacent in our fitness. –Coach Ben
Justine has really been pushing herself in the last few months. She’s RXing a when appropriate and crushing it, and continues to scale appropriately when she needs to continue her growth as an athlete! Congratulations Justine! –Coach Timmy
- Tell us about yourself?
I am 23, a washed up sorority girl, CrossFit addict and ABBA enthusiast.
- What do you do outside of the gym?
I am the Corporate Training and Manual Administrator for the Bohlsen Restaurant Group.
- What brought you to Islip CF? How long have you been doing CrossFit?
I was working at FatFish in Bay Shore the summer after my freshman year of college and almost everyone I worked with did CrossFit. I so desperately needed a change in my workout routine because I was only running and beginning to hate it, so I googled the closest gym to my house and signed up for a trial class at Islip CF immediately.
- What was your first CF workout? What did you think after it?
I don’t really remember much from my first workout, but I do remember there was cleans and running. After I remember thinking holy crap I can only do this type of workout like 2 or 3 times a week because it was so hard. But I did sign up for a membership that night and the rest is history.
- What changes have you made in your workouts that have been the most successful?
Within the last 2 years I’ve really focused on listening to my body and scaling when I’m not feeling 100%. I’ve also changed my view on scaling some movements, like doing strict chest to bar instead of pull ups to increase my strength so I can get chest to bars faster!
- Most embarrassing/funniest gym moment?
Probably when Trish and I wore those boob shirts to the internal comp haha. I also, get pretty embarrassed and fearful about my double jointed elbows during snatches lol.
- Favorite movement? Least favorite? Benchmark WOD?
I love snatches, overhead squats, pistols, hspu and box jumps. I hate wallballs, deadlifts and bench press. My favorite benchmark is Mary or Nancy.
- Favorite memory at Islip Crossfit?
When I pr’d my squat snatch. I had been stuck on 85# for about a year so to snatch anything over 90# was exciting. I also have so much fun at the wine tour every year!
- If you could program it, what is your perfect workout?
A chipper with pistols, hspu, box jumps, pull ups and overhead squats!
- Favorite workout music?
- Advice for a new member or someone thinking of trying CrossFit?
Don’t be intimidated by the intensity of the workouts or what everyone else is doing. Focus on good form and getting the best workout for yourself. And have fun!
- How do you find/make time to get your workouts in?
I can workout in the morning or after work but I enjoy starting my day with a workout so I try to make it in the morning. However, if I’m out late I’ll try to make it up at an evening class.
- What is your favorite part of Islip CrossFit?
I love the Islip CF community and how we are able to have fun inside and outside the gym!
- What motivates you to keep coming back each day?
How great working out at CF makes me feel and seeing the 6am crew!
- What is your greatest achievement in your fitness so far?
I think when I got my first kipping pull up and double unders. Both movements I had been working on for years and it was so satisfying to know my hard work had paid off.
- What has been the most challenging part?
I think not being able to do CrossFit while I was at college for my sophomore year definitely set me back. But I was able to join a gym my junior and senior year once I had a car.
- Short term goal? Long term goal?
Short term: I want to be able to string together larger sets of toes to bar.
Long term: I’d love to be able to walk on my hands and do butterfly pull ups & chest to bars.
- What/Who motivates or inspires you?
My parents and my progress over the last 5 years. I come from a very athletic family where working out has always been second nature. My parents still workout multiple times a week and that pushes me to do so as well. I also love being able to accomplish new things and hit milestones in the gym and I’ve learned that only happens when you put the work in.
- Favorite Cheat Meal?
I love margaritas and nachos, well any type of mexican food.
- What changes have you made in your diet that have been the most successful?
When I graduated from school and moved home my diet was mostly paleo because that’s how my mom eats. However, I started using RP in September and feel that counting my macros has worked best for me and my body.
- What is the worst “diet” you’ve ever been on?
Oh my goodness I used to juice green veggies and drink those once or twice a day for almost a year..gross lol.
- What’s your go to breakfast?
I love eggs and sweet potatoes.
- Do you eat before you workout? (If so, what?)
I usually don’t eat because I workout so early in the morning.
JUST FOR FUN…..
- Something no one at the gym knows about you?
I did my first triathlon at 14 years old with my mom and aunts. I also promised myself that I’d do an Ironman by the age of 25 and right now that doesnt look like that is going to happen lol.
- What was your first job?
My first job was at The Irish Coffee Pub.
- If you could go back in time, what advice would you give yourself when you were a teenager?
Not to worry so much about what I look like and maybe to not eat so many spoonfuls of peanut butter and nutella lol.
- Favorite Quote?
During a tough time my mom and I always say the quote from the movie/book The Help “You is kind. You is smart. You is important”
- What Superhero are you?
- Biggest Fear?
I HATE alligators and crocodiles.
- Best Vacation?
Lake Placid is my favorite place. But I love vacationing anywhere in the mountains.
- If you aren’t at the box, where would we find you?
Somewhere with a drink in my hand.
- If you won lotto, what would you do?
Pay off my student loans.
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why?
I’ve never been to Europe so that’s the next big trip I want to go on.
- Who is your celebrity crush?
I love Luke Bryan and Ryan Renyolds
- Last pic on your phone?
This is embarrassing, but it’s my boyfriend at our Valentine’s Day dinner.
- What’s the wallpaper on your phone right now?
My sister-in-law and I at her wedding.
- What’s the last thing you searched for on Google?
A coupon code for new snowboarding boots.
- Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less
Athletic, adventurous, creative, carefree & outgoing